Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Radio Waves Podcast #29

If everything goes according to plan, “Shotgun” Tom Kelly will be back on the airwaves by the time you read this. Kelly told me Sunday afternoon that his doctors cleared him to return to the KRTH (101.1 FM) afternoon airwaves on April 10.
 
Kelly has been off the air since early last month when he went in for a routine physical. He mentioned to his doctors that he felt pressure in his chest; after their diagnosis, what was first going to be a relatively simple angioplasty turned into a quadruple heart bypass surgery on March 8. 
 
By the following Monday, he sent a text to his friends including a photo taken in his hospital room, and he’s been itching to get back on the air ever since.
 
Kelly has been one of my favorite DJs since I first heard him on KCBQ/San Diego (1170 AM) in the 1970s. He and his wife, Linda, still live in “America’s Finest City,” as they called it back then, on weekends; he commutes to Los Angeles where he stays during the week for his show on KRTH.
 
I once asked him why he doesn’t just voice-track his show from San Diego instead of putting in the long drive and time away from his family. “(Then programmer) Jhani Kaye insists that any DJ that works for KRTH actually broadcast from the KRTH studios,” he told me. But I knew there was more. “It wouldn’t be right to short-change my listeners,” he later explained.
 
I know he reads this column, so let me just say, “Welcome back, Shotgun. We missed you.”
 
Down on the Corner
 
KNX (1070 AM) is once again hitting the streets, this time taking the microphones to the historic Fairfax district and the surrounding areas on Friday, April 25th with another edition of “KNX On Your Corner.”
 
The usual suspects are involved, this time broadcasting from the great Canter’s Deli at 419 North Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles. Dick Helton and Vicki Moore start the day at 5 am, broadcasting live until 9:00. It’s back to the studios until 1 pm when Frank Mottek does the Business Hour from Canter’s counters. Then it’s Diane Thompson and Chris Sedens reporting the news from 2-7.
The day’s programming and roundtable discussions form area leaders will also feature Hancock Park, Beverly Grove and Mid-Wilshire, which includes the Miracle Mile, in which the KNX studios are located. The Fairfax District itself encompasses Farmer’s Market, The Grove, CBS Television City and Pan-Pacific Park.
 
In my opinion, it would be worth it just for the Canter’s Deli food. Just sayin’...
 
Hawaiian Music
 
Glen Cheslock of Tarzana has an interesting question: “Many years ago (1964?) I used to listen to a broadcast late on Sunday evenings. It was music from the Islands. Very soothing and enjoyable. Is that music broadcast locally anymore?”
 
My instinct says no, but I thought I’d ask you if you happen to know of any station running such programming. If you do, drop me a line and I’ll send the information to Glen.

No comments:

Post a Comment